Re: Video Capture and Streaming Battle Plan (was:Fluendo, DV capture & other bits and pieces)

On 6/8/05, Herman Robak <herman@skolelinux.no> wrote:
> > Some cameras will lock up Kino if you're capturing live and hit the stop
> > button.  You need to turn the power on the camera off first.
>
>  I'm pretty shy about demo-ing Kino because it is so prone to lock-up!
> I don't dare using it for live recording myself; I use dvgrab.

Ok -- we'll make sure we test it quite a bit and are confident is is stable.

> >  It would be nice if they could keep a list of who was talking, what
> > time it began, and what the title of the talk was.
>
>  Timecode for the start of the talk (Kino shows that) can be appended
> to a README.  Holding a "slate" in front of the camera for a few seconds
> might also be worthwhile.

I like the slate idea. It can be done with a piece of paper and marker too.

> > Since we're not using two cameras per talk we can focus the cameras so
> > that presenter and screen are both visable at the same time.
>
>  This could work well if the resolution were 1280x720 or more (HDTV).
> But it will look crappy with highly compressed 320x240 video.
> Especially since the screen is usually brighter than the presenter.
> You get a recording with a small, underexposed presenter and a screen
> that is often too small to be clearly legible.
> I can give a crash course in framing and camera movement, if needed.

Your examples are great! Yes, we'll need a crash course for camera
ops, and you're the man.

> >  We'll split the files into different talks after the fact.
>
>  Are you suggesting _one_ humongous file per day?  The filesystem
> supports it, but does Kino behave well with 60 GB files?  I am afraid
> Cinelerra has some scaling issues, too.

Large files will be unmanageable on many levels.

We should start/stop the DV capture for each presentation. And both
kino and dvgrab know how to rotate files -- so we'll do that as well.