Re: Video Capture and Streaming Battle Plan (was:Fluendo, DV capture & other bits and pieces)

On 6/8/05, Tore S Bekkedal <toresbe@ifi.uio.no> wrote:
> How about using a single laptop/desktop which we know has working TV-out

Speakers certainly expect to use their own laptop -- specially of they
are demoing something. And if they use slides, the slides will be
right next to our video download link ;-)

Given that the slides are there in html/pdf/ooffice we can put an
effort into capturing, compressing and streaming it, but it doesn't
sound very valuable.

> ... and then edit the two together into a
> single stream?

I know I keep repeating this... I believe we ***must*** have output
that is useful and we can post with absolute minimum editing. That has
to be the core of our workflow. And be able to edit and do fancy stuff
to be better.

If we have time and resources (machines, volunteers, etc) we'll add
the cream on top ;-) but we must be able to post a video for each talk
with minimal effort if we find that we are shorthanded.

IOWs -- assume we are shorthanded and we get no other hw than what's
been promised so far (disk space on one server, gigabit ethernet, 3
laptops for dv capture & encoding, 3 cameras).

cheers,

martin