Re: Video Capture and Streaming Battle Plan (was:Fluendo, DV capture & other bits and pieces)

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 08:03 +1200, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On 6/8/05, John Lightsey <lightsey@debian.org> wrote:
> If you can help us automate the workflow you describe, and we have
> people keen on spending a couple of hours each night on it, great!
>
> BTW, we won't need a CGI -- we'll be able to edit the talks page to
> add a still frame, link to video, etc. I think they have a CMS there.

I'll write a perl script to process the DV and move it between IN, OUT,
and DONE directories.  The only think I don't know is how files will
move from the encoding server to the web server.  rsync running from
cron?

> > Some cameras will lock up Kino if you're capturing live and hit the stop
> > button.  You need to turn the power on the camera off first.
>
> You mean stop on the camera? We'll never do that ;-) we never
> start/stop on the camera itself. All we do is have it on. Or you mean
> "stop" in the Kino UI? Might need to test with the cameras we have.

The stop button in kino locks things up during live capture for me.

> > We'll split the files into different talks
> > after the fact.  The operators will leave them running continuosly.
>
> The "live streams" will run continuosly, but the DV captures should
> definitely be started/stopped and the files names with the
> presentation title/speaker.

Are there going to be gaps between presentation big enough to make this
important?  If there are only 5 or 10 minutes between presentations, the
cameras might as well run the whole way through the day.

I'm assuming that no one is going to be processing video while the talks
are taking place (they'll either be filming or attending) and that each
camera has a single large USB drive.  At the end of the day the drives
are taken to the hacklab and individual presentations are chopped out
with kino then uploaded to the encoding server which encodes them with
FFMPEG and uploads them to the web server.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it again, it would greatly
simplify the process if the camera operators did the cutting on the
spot, as you are suggesting, and we simply copied from the USB drives to
the encoding server.  If this sounds like a reasonable thing to expect
from the camera operators, we could set up the encoding server to
automount the usb drives, copy the DV files off and begin encoding from
there, without any editing at all.  We would just need someone to plug
in all of the USB drives at the end of the day.

Camera operator->starts/stops/pans/zooms/monitors/renames so that each
presentation is a single DV file on the USB drive named
Joe_Presenter--Presentation_Title.dv

Drive-guy->at the end of the day, plugs each drive into the encoding
server when prompted (assuming it's not possible to plug them all in at
once and leave them until the following morning.)

Encoding server->makes the XviD files, makes the asx files, grabs and
resizes a random screenshot, rsyncs the output directory to the web
server.

Web server->get slashdotted

Does this sound reasonable?

John