Re: on creating ogg theoras

On Sat, 2005-09-10 at 11:33 +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> There is a tool, ffmpeg2theora, available at
> http://www.v2v.cc/~j/ffmpeg2theora/ or in unstable, which needs no special
> options (except one to tune the quality).
>
> While you're at it, could you also please create low quality theoras, with the
> aim of 4gb in size _together_, so that all of them and the slides fit on
> _one_ single layer data dvd... ?! (If you won't be able to do, it's fine, but
> please tell.)

The version of ffmpeg2theora in Debian segfaults regularly so I used the
upstream binary with a small wrapper script and these options:

PAL:

ffmpeg2theora-0.15.linux.bin -x 360 -y 288 -v 5 -a 3 -c 1 <FILENAME>

NTSC:

ffmpeg2theora-0.15.linux.bin -x 360 -y 240 -v 5 -a 3 -c 1 <FILENAME>

It took around 36 hours to process all of the video and resulted in
4.6GB of ogg files.  I'll need to run it again with the video quality
set a notch lower to fit all of them on a single DVD.  At -v 5 most text
is difficult to read but the people look reasonable.

For comparison, the MPEG1 versions take up 7.7GB of space.

John