Re: questions and results from the video irc meeting

Holger, thanks for summarizing the irc meeting and general status. It's great!

> would like work in 4 teams: video, audio, editing and
> tech-support.

Reading the irc log, I think I agree more with the earlier recording -
editing - tech supp split, rather than thinking of audio and video as
separate teams. But I'm un-splitting hairs here...

> Our priorities are (order by priority, b+c+d are completly optional):
>
> a.) capture all 14 talks of debconf, plus debianday plus the speech preceding
> the formal dinner - distribute them shortly after the talk
> b.) stream live (internal and external)
> c.) add slides to the video (either live or in post-processing)
> d.) create a nice debconf5 movie

Couple questions -

- What are people envisioning as the results of the "add slides" step?
At any point that we turn slides from html/ps/pdf into a "video" type
resource diskspace/bandwitdth go up, and quality goes down. There are
other things we can do to add value (potentially a lot!) to the
captured talk.

- D is completely independent from everything else, and in a sense
this is an opportunity. I've noticed some of us want to create a
video, and there's a strong sense of aesthetics. I'm keen on that
happening, as well. (Though I'll stick to capturing talks ;)

<weird plans>
WRT adding value, the one thing that would add value the most is to
have transcripts of the talks. With transcripts, talks are accessible
to blind and deaf users... like Google. But transcribing the talks is
a huge undertaking -- and I don't want our team to do it.

What I am thinking about is bootstrapping the transcription process,
so that it's easy for people accessing the videos right after the
conference to help transcribing one bit of the talk. I think we can
place a link to the transcription right next to the link to the video,
and have the page be a wiki page "seeded" with the text of the slides.

It is possible that it doesn't work for all the talks. But popular
talks will earn their transcription soon. In fact, with all the irc
activity that  happens during the talk in debconf, we can ask for
volunteers in the room to transcribe or take detailed notes of _one_
slide. If we have 20 volunteers in the room, we'll have it covered.
</weird>

Another thing to capture and post are the IRC logs. There's a _lot_ of
activity there during talks, a lot of discussion about the talk as it
takes place. A lot of sh*t too ;)

> At the moment I also would like to request 3 pegasos2 boxes (for streaming,
> compression, converting formats).

The pegasos are PPC -- encoding with them will be painful. Even humble
x86s will be a better deal :p

cheers,

martin