Re: DebConf21 online, DebConf22 in Kosovo, DebConf23 in India, DebConf24 in Israel

On the other hand, if the mission of the conference is promoting
Debian around the globe, with carbon emissions, pandemia, etc. we
should also consider a more fragmented conference, localized in
different areas/continents. Maybe it would make sense to run all those
piled up DebConfs the same year? (Maybe this is tad late now, after
the announcement)

Disclaimer - These are no strong opinions, just some food for thought.

Have a nice day,

This has come up on other lists too, not specific to Debian but conferences in general. We now have the infrastructure to meet up virtually (Big blue button, Jitsi, irc, matrix, et al) there is also local infrastructure to meet on a very local level too.

Doing things virtually also makes this accessible to more people who can't travel, perhaps many of our younger developers who can't just simply jump on a plane but are environmentally conscious.

Before we shut down in the UK, I as running a code club and a local tech event, there is no reason why the same building can't host similar events and connect with other groups elsewhere in the country.

So I think decentralising could work

Paul
--
Paul Sutton, Cert Cont Sci (Open)