Re: DebConf20 registration is now open (with caveats)

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 10:44:01PM +0200, Daniel Lange wrote:

> [1]: https://wiki.debian.org/DebConf/20/Faq

This says:

> The deadline for deciding on postponing, cancelling or changing the
> format of the conference is June 8th.

The announcement says:

> To request bursaries (sponsorship) for food, accommodation, or travel,
> you must be registered by Sunday, May 31st 2020. After this date, new
> bursary applications won’t be considered.

I'm perplexed by the deadline for the bursaries being earlier than the
date in which there'll be a decision about what the format of the
conference will be like.

The call for registration implies that one would be registering to a
similar format of conference as the previous years. As such, I will pass
on the registration, and incidentally I resent that this pidgeonholes me
as "the only thing you want to do is lay low".

Can you however confirm that if on the 8th of June the format of the
conference will change into something that one would instead feel
motivated to attend, and such format would still requires expenses for
which one could use a bursary, then the bursaries deadline will be
extended?

Otherwise, what I see is that you are effectively forcing people who
would like to attend *some* form of DebConf, and aren't sure of their
financial means, to apply to something they can't participate, in order
not to lose the possibility of being funded for something they would
like to.

Enrico

--
GPG key: 4096R/634F4BD1E7AD5568 2009-05-08 Enrico Zini <enrico@enricozini.org>