Re: Committee Role: Helping build the debconf-team

Hi all,

On 15/11/2019 22:00, Gunnar Wolf wrote:

> Antonio has mentioned the pain it was for locals taking charge of
> international sponsors. I am also guilty (although I think I did so
> well in advance, in order not to hurt orga) of leaving the content
> team headless this year due to my work time requirements - A task that
> could have been picked up by anybody, local or global, but was
> ultimately picked up by a local. Thing is, locals had too many issues
> to iron out, and it's maybe too much to require them to care for more
> stuff. Few local teams are large enough in reality, even if many
> people agree to help.

In my opinion local members deal with international sponsors or
coordenate the content team is not a issue by itself. It can be done.
The problem is when the local team already have to much to do with local
tasks and deal with these others tasks will overwhelm people. So, what
we can do to solve this? I believe it's important DebConf community has
 answers for the big issues like that.

Using DC19 as an example because I only have experience with DC19 so I
can only talk about this year: Antonio had to coordinate the content
team. But, what would happen if he had said "I will not"? What would be
the options here from DebConf team?
And I know Antonio did it because we needed someone coordinating the
content team coordenator because in the end, it was a burden of DC19
solve this. And this create a lot of pressure to the local team.

> Having DebConf in native-English (or in widely-English-spoken)
> countries is in a way much easier for that - We foreigners can just
> walk to the street and get what we are looking for. Maybe that
> accounts for having a lower local/global split perception in countries
> such as South Africa, the USA or the like..?

I agree with you.
To me, we use words as "local team" and "global team" is not a problem.
In my opinion "DC19 local team" was just a group of brazilians that
talked in portuguese to organize the event and because of that could
much faster to solve the talks. And the "world team" was people that
could help remotely.

Theoretically the ideal enviroment is everybody talking about everything
in english. But when we are getting close of the event and the tasks are
incresing a lot, it's very hard to deal with them in an language that is
not your primary.

Anyway, I never saw a fence between local and global teams. To me, we
are always in the same boat with the same objective.

Best regards,

--
Paulo Henrique de Lima Santana (phls)
Curitiba - Brasil