Re: DC18 Budget Approval Request

Hi,

On Tue, May 01, 2018 at 04:47:29PM +0100, Chris Lamb wrote:
> I am now confused why you have done this. I was not asking you to
> adjust the estimation and all the questions I previously had about
> the estimation of 400 naturally still apply to this new number.
>
> I'm not sure how I could have been any clearer in my previous
> emails but if you'll permit me to be blunt for a moment, please
> provide me with:
>
>  a) An upper-bound estimate for the number of attendees.
>
>  b) Reasons/justifications for "a)". I am looking for a *lot* more
>  than "agreed in IRC" -- I need to know _whatever_ thought process,
>  rationale or justifications went into this number. Please be as
>  detailed as possible.
>
>  c) Lower-bound estiamte for the number of attendees.
>
>  d) Reasons/justifications for "c)". Again, I need to know why this
>  number was selected. Please be as detailed as possible.

Currently my sole estimation about the number is that we have lower
bound of 300 people: we have 296 people finished their registration on
site, and we need to consider about people not able to come if they
don't receive bursaries, and people that register late.

The upper bound of 360 is that we would like to have local people
(especially students and contributors) joining us.  We recently have
events like Ubuntu Release Party, which is a good chance to promote such
event.  Also we are distributing DebConf posters in some of the
universities.  Hope that this does not sound too "wishful thinking".

(Sorry that it is pretty hard for me to choose a solid number for the
upper bound.)

> […]
> > The income from the attendees paying themselves was overestimated.
>
> Is this referring to the *number* of attendees who are paying for
> themselves, or the amount which *each* self-paying attendee?

Number of attendees who are paying for themselves. Currently we are
setting the ratio at 17% (50 of 296 attendees).

Best regards,
Yao Wei