Re: DebConf19 updates - October 2018

Hi Rhonda and all,

This is not a "official letter from local team" and it is not trying to be the end of this discussion, because we will have a lot of things to discuss.

 ---- On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 06:30:24 -0200 Rhonda D&#39;Vine <rhonda@deb.at> wrote ----
 >     Hey there.
 >
 >  I have a few questions about this, and would like to have some
 > clearification here:

First all, I didn't vote in Bolsonaro, so, I am comfortable to say or listen any kind of opinion against him.
Second, like I said to you on the irc channel: don't worried about what we are thinking, or if we are thinking you want to blow up DebConf19. If you have concerns about the event, we are here to listen and learn.  Let's talk :-)

In my opinion, our email was too much cold because we tried just to "report the facts".
Unfortunately we didn't express our concerns about what that kind of government we will have on the next 4 years.
I think we missed the opportunity to show our empty for all people that can have any kind of problem in Bolsonaro's government. Sorry for that, and believe me, I am worried too.

You can trust that our email has nothing with "have ou not have Bolsonaro's voters" on local team. We were not afraid to express any kind of opinion because of that.
Our intention was to say that we don't know yet what it will happen, and we didn't want create panic. Maybe the text was too much "peaceful".

There is a video from the vice-president saying they will not attack people here. If it is true? I really don't know, but I hope so.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXRGs1QcaOI&feature=youtu.be

Because of that, we are thinking that we need to wait to see what kind of actions they will have. Maybe Bolsonaro, like others politicians, were saying what some people would like to hear to win the elections, or maybe he is really stupid and crazy (well, he is stupid, but maybe not sick).
In this case, you don't need to have any kind of doubts that we will not support theirs actions. If there is any kind of risk to people come to Brazil, we will be the first to tell you.
Cancel DebConf19 here in Brazil is not a issue for us, if we feel it's not safe. We will never put your life in risk here.

We are all on the same side.
We can write emails that are not good, we can say things that are not good. Let's remember we are talking by email (and not face to face), and we have to write in english, and it's harder to explain all we would like, using our not native language.

If you think we can do better, tell us. But, please, don't assume we are not trying to take care of you all, because we are.
We have friends and family that are LGBTQ+, so, we are not just worried with Debian people. We are worried with all!

I, and I am sure all people from local team, would like to have you all here.  But I know we have to deal with a government and with a society that showed us not be tolerant and peaceful when elected Bolsonaro.

Best regards,

-----
Paulo Henrique de Lima Santana (phls)
Curitiba - Brasil
Debian Maintainer
Diretor do Instituto para Conservação de Tecnologias Livres
Membro da Comunidade Curitiba Livre
Site: http://www.phls.com.br
GNU/Linux user: 228719  GPG ID: 0443C450

Organizador da DebConf19 - Conferência Mundial de Desenvolvedores(as) Debian
Curitiba - 21 a 28 de julho de 2019
http://debconf19.debconf.org