Re: Photo policy for DebConf

On 2018-08-03 08:40, Paul Wise wrote:
> Not having video pans of the audience since it doesn't necessarily add
> much value to the streams and having no-video audience areas (with
> microphone) would also be appreciated, I've had people ask me to ask
> questions on their behalf because of current practices.

Although I'm part of the DebConf video team, I have to say I also do not
like to be on pictures or videos. Kinda ironic :9

I wish there was an easy way for us to make this happen, but I don't see
how the DebConf video team could achieve this without ending up even
more burnt out than we already are...

Here's a bunch of problems I see with 'no video zones'. I'd be happy to
talk about this some more if people have solutions we can implement that
do no end up with us doing even more overworked that we currently are.

1. Most of the people behind the cameras at DebConf are volunteers with
very little training. To me it's a good things, since doing camera work
is a very accessible way to volunteer during DebConf. Chances are, even
if we had a 'no video zone', camera operators would end up doing pans
over them.

I fear that would break trust, as people would feel safe in 'no video
zones' and end up being on the streams and videos anyway.

2. It's hard for the video team to guarantee 'no video zones' for
logistical reasons. Often when we arrive at the venue during DebCamp, we
don't know what the room layouts are and we have to deal with a bunch of
surprises.

For example, in small BoF rooms it's nearly impossible not to capture
the whole room in a single shot. The room is physically too small for this.

3. We also have to 'build up' rooms in very little time (a few hours).
This brings a layer of complexity to this problem, as most of the time
the position of our cameras are not the result of well thought process.

--
      ,''`.
     : :'  :     Louis-Philippe Véronneau