Re: [DebConf18] Privacy and govermental funds

We aren't asking their passport number. Also email and phone number can be masked partially.

Yao Wei
On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 07:11 shirish शिरीष <shirishag75@gmail.com> wrote:
On 11/05/2018, shirish शिरीष <shirishag75@gmail.com> wrote:
> Reply in-line :-
>
> On 10/05/2018, Yao Wei <mwei@lxde.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

> Hi,
>
>> (I would like to give a recap of previous email, since that information
>> is not complete.)
>>
>> Some of our funds (MEET TAIWAN, NCTU and probably NCHC) requires us to
>> give them a list of attendees.
>>
>> According to the information from MEET TAIWAN, this includes their
>> nationality, phone number, email address, company and occupations to
>> give them the proof that our conference meets their funding requirements
>> (at least 30 foreign people in a conference) and is close to the number
>> of expected attendees during application.
>>
>> NCTU also needs that list to apply funds to cover their own venue cost.
>>
>> However, we do care about the privacy of attendees, and would like to
>> take opt-in approach.  During the global team meeting this week we
>> discussed to ask attendees on the website if they are willing to give
>> such information to the government and the university for us to gather
>> more funds to cover the expense.
>>
>> If we agree on this, we have to implement this opt-in page in our
>> registration system (or confirmation page), also tells attendees what
>> data we are gathering, and to whom we are giving to.
>>

> As a potential attendee, I do see minefields here as there isn't
> clarity on few topics -
>
> a. How are attendees to know if the data shared would be limited to -
>
> 1. One government organization - in this case meet taiwan
> 2. The University - in this case NCTU
>
> and is/would be there any privacy agreements between these parties and
> debconf  to make sure that the information shared isn't spread (at the very
> least). This would make at least some of the attendees sleep better at night if they
> need/want to share the info.
>
> b. Some of the information asked is and would be pretty invasive for
> e.g. asking people's mobile numbers, passport number, e-mail address etc. till we
> don't have any clear idea many people would be hesitant as this data could be
> easily put to nefarious uses e.g. 'identity theft' .

See my question asked on a similar topic at
https://travel.stackexchange.com/questions/69473/what-damage-can-person-s-do-if-they-have-your-passport-number-and-visa-control-n

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल