[Debconf-team] Bursaries decisions posted; stats; budget extension?

Hey all,

I have just posted the first round of decisions of the bursaries team.
Applicants now need to log into the DebConf website to accept their grants, or
to withdraw their applications.

The deadline for acceptance of the first round of travel bursaries is
2017-06-20. We've set the deadline for acceptance of F+A bursaries on the
confirmation deadline, 2017-07-01.

Referees have assigned two scores (ranging from 0 to 5) to each applicant: one
"contribution" score and one "diversity and inclusion" score.

Travel
------
We have received 123 requests for travel, food and accommodation (adjusted with
withdrawals as of today), for a total of 143k USD.

With the current budgets, we were able to grant 44 travel bursaries: 35 on the
contributors budget (30k USD + 6k overcommit), 9 on the D&I budget (10k USD +
2k overcommit). All those grants come with a F+A grant as well.

We've also granted a F+A bursary to the 39 people who are ranked below the
cutoff for travel, but didn't say they would be completely unable to come if
they didn't get funded.

Food and Accommodation
----------------------
We have received 61 requests for food and accommodation only (adjusted as
well). We have assessed that all should be granted, either on contribution (54)
or D&I (7) grounds. Accounting for all requests, the total number of F+A grants
is 124.

Budget extension
----------------
The cutoff score for contribution travel grants is 3.30/5, which is very high,
and our accept ratio is 36%, which is fairly low. The score distribution looks
similar to what we had last year, where the cutoff ended up at a contribution
score of ~2.5/5.

It might be early to do this - we can wait for a week or so to leave people
some time to update their status and expenses -, but maybe we should consider
extending the travel bursary budget by some margin?

FYI, further levels for contributors unlock at:

40.7k USD (+ 6 people - cutoff = 3.25/5, ratio 41%)
44.6k USD (+ 4 people - cutoff = 3.00/5, ratio 44%)
48.9k USD (+ 4 people - cutoff = 2.90/5, ratio 47%)

Cheers,
--
Nicolas Dandrimont

BOFH excuse #240:
Too many little pins on CPU confusing it, bend back and forth until 10-20% are
neatly removed. Do _not_ leave metal bits visible!