Re: [Debconf-team] Content team: Our current status, next steps

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 01:03:15PM -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> As most of you are aware by now - We finally have a (preliminary)
> schedule! \o/

yay! thanks to everyone involved…!

> First, as I expected, several people have contacted me privately
> complaining on why the schedule starts at 9AM. I agree, and you will
> remember I have argued for it to start at 10AM. Please, before
> publishing the schedule, consider _shifting_ everything by 1hr

yes!

> Also, several people whose talks were not accepted have asked how
> ad-hoc or self-scheduled (pick a name!) sessions will happen. This has
> to be discussed and decided *now*, or we will be drowned in requests.
>
> Please do talk about this and decide. Ideally, the schedule and the
> rules (and space availability, and all that) for self-scheduling
> should be announced at the same time.

I really don't get this. We have a talks team, which decides about
talks and workshops and all that. And then we have self-scheduling where
talks and workshops which werent accepted by the content team get
self scheduled?!?

Will those self scheduled event end up in the same rooms as the others,
filing the time tables even more, putting more load on attendees and
video volunteers alike?

Whats the point of this, why doesnt the content team decide on those
talks / slots too?

I'd understand if those self-scheduled events were in a dedicated different
room (which might or might not be videoed) but I dont get why it's useful
to have content team scheduling and self scheduling for the same ressource (=room).

--
cheers,
	Holger