Re: [Debconf-team] timing for sessions

On 05/04/2016 08:37 AM, Bernelle Verster wrote:
> On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 8:54 AM, martin f krafft <madduck@debconf.org> wrote:
>>
>> Do we really need a break after the first session of the day, when
>> breakfast has just ended and lunch is about to begin?
>
> I do think the breaks are important, this is where the real value of a
> conference happens. I understand that it is very hard for organisers
> to not cram as many talks in as possible, because we feel that this is
> what people pay money for, but it's only part of the reason. I think
> having lots of breaks to share ideas and discuss the sessions that
> just happened is an amazing opportunity to grow relationships. And if
> there's only one session then a break, that's fine too, in my opinion.

Also, at DebConf, many people will drift in late, and desperately want
coffee. So, offering coffee and tea at that hour is important. It
doesn't matter much if we start the second session at 11:00 or 11:15,
but it does seem quite silly to start lunch at 11:45, so we might as
well use the 15 minutes for a morning coffee break.

Allison