Re: [Debconf-team] Questions for the Curubita Team!

On 2016-12-21 05:42, Louis-Philippe Véronneau wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Here's a few questions I had reading your bid on the wiki:

Hi pollo. Thanks for reading now and send the questions.
They are useful to us.

> 1 - You write that Curubita is 1h by plane from Sao Paulo. How expensive
> is that? How long is it by bus/public transit? Is that a viable option
> security-wise?

A small correction: the name of de city is "Curitiba", not "Curubita" :-)

We quoted for São Paulo just as a reference point because most of the people don't know where exactly Curitiba.

I'm not sure why you asked about the trip from São Paulo to Curitiba, but usually internacional flights arrive in São Paulo city or Rio de Janeiro city and then to Curitiba in a local company. So, you can buy the ticket for example from London to Curitiba and pay for all.

But If you you prefer stay in São Paulo or Rio de Janeiro before/after come to Curitiba, no problem. It's very easy :-)

Anyway It is very viable to travel by bus and the trip takes close to 6 hours (~400km). It is possible to find very affordableplane tickets, so maybe going by bus does not pay off.

We are adding this on the Bid.

> 2 - You only list UTFPR for potential venues. Do you have any backup
> plans in case something goes wrong?

Yes, there are two other universities that we are evaluating. We are collecting the details. Another possibility is that several of the hotels we are evaluating have meeting rooms, which they make available for free if you occupy some percentage of the rooms. So if everything else fails the hotels are a viable option.

> 3 - You write that academic calendar is sometimes a little unpredictable
> at UTFPR and that it's possible the dates won't coincide with student
> vacations. How much of a problem would that be?

Having DebConf during vacations is better because all classrooms will be empty, and there willl be fewer people on campus. If it doesn't coincide with student vacations, we can still use the classrooms but there will be logistics to reorganize some classes to clear the rooms. That shouldn't be much of a problem though.

> 4 - You write that venue space will be for free. How strong is their
> commitment (do you have any signed letter from them?)

Yes, the UTFPR's director is writing one. He was travelling but we hope he can send to us before the end of the year, and we will attach it to the bid page.

> 5 - You potential dates are very tight (July 16 to July 28, 2018). Do
> you think that might cause some trouble in case of some unforeseen problems?

That is just a tentative date. We will actually book the entire month of July, and we will have room to slide the actual dates in that window.

The student vacations are usually 3 to 4 weeks on July. We can even have DebConf start in July and end in august if we are willing to overlap with some days with classes.

Best regards,

--
Paulo Henrique de Lima Santana (phls)
Membro da Comunidade Curitiba Livre

Apoie a campanha pela igualdade de gênero #HeForShe (#ElesPorElas)
http://www.heforshe.org/pt