Re: [Debconf-team] timing for sessions

Allison Randal dijo [Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 07:43:47PM -0400]:
> Different countries have different ideas of civilized hours for running
> conference sessions. Taking a look at PyCon ZA, what do you all think of
> the following schedule for the main DebConf session days:
>
> 9:30-10:15am First Talk/BoF
> 10:15-11:00am Morning Tea/Coffee Break
> 11:00-11:45am Third Talk/BoF
> 12:00pm-1:00pm Lunch Break
> 1:00pm-1:45pm Fourth Talk/BoF
> 2:00pm-2:45pm Fifth Talk/BoF
> 2:45pm-3:30pm Afternoon Tea/Coffee Break
> 3:30pm-4:15pm Sixth Talk/BoF
> 4:30-5:15pm Seventh Talk/BoF

Given what we have always seen at DebConf, I would:

- Start a bit later. Starting at 10AM feels more natural.

- Having the first break after just one session lowers IMO motivation
  for waking up early — Arriving at 11AM means only one talk lost?
  Then people will sleep late. If we are having lunch at 12:00, I
  would skip the formal morning coffee break (people can grab a coffee
  in the 15 minutes between talks).

  So, I'd say first talk 10:00-10:45, second talk 11:00-11:45, and
  we're set in time for the (horribly early, but who's me to judge?)
  lunch.

- Lunch break should be 2h instead of 1h, so people can eat and talk
  relaxed and with good time. I'd return by 2PM.

- And then, yes, two sessions, break, two sessions; 14:00-14:45,
  15:00-15:45, 16:30-17:15, 17:30-18:15.

  I would even be happy if we jammed in one more session, be it
  two-break-three or three-break-two, if there's enough demand
  (i.e. enough talk submissions). Finishing the formal activities for
  dinner at 19:15 sounds quite doable, and we are often starved for
  sessions more than for dinner! ;-)

> I'm sure we'll get more BoF proposals closer to the event, and some of
> them may even be more "talk-like". But, we'll have plenty of time to
> accommodate all the content, with no need to create a frantically paced
> schedule of sessions starting at the crack of dawn and crammed into
> every minute. I'll also note that the social side of DebConf often runs
> until 4am or beyond, so keeping the morning light and putting more
> content in the afternoon works well.

Your point is good. But then, we could pick up from the scheduling we
had in Portland, and leave unallocated "hacking sessions" halfway
through so that people are more at leisure.

Spaces with no video coverage can be probably self-scheduled by having
a blackboard or poster at the door where people pin or write their
intended activities?