Re: [Debconf-team] [Mtl's bid] Input needed regarding accomodation

also sprach Tiago Bortoletto Vaz <tiago@debian.org> [2016-01-07 11:58 +1300]:
> In that case we'd probably rent basic equipment (beds?) from the local
> Red Cross or from another organisation. Each class could host 10-15
> people. The big gymnasium could also be used, but in that case it'd look
> more like an indoor camping thing = less privacy (and more fun...?) Both
> venues seem to provide enough bathroom/showers, details will come soon.

Further to Steve's notes, which I underwrite: we've had multiple
DebConfs with lesser private sleeping arrangements, though 10–15
people in a room is stretching things a bit, I'd say.

Are these rooms ventilated? Do they have windows and won't it be too
hot outside or attract too many insects if left open?

Are the rented beds of higher quality, or will every breath elicit
squeaks and keep half the room awake?

Maybe it'd be possible to reduce the rooms to 8 people?

That said, I am sure that the majority of people will be fine with
whatever sleeping arrangement they get for free. As long as there
are enough affordable alternatives (also some sponsored people will
have to be put into hotels or the like), I think it'll be fine.

As a rough guideline, I'd assume you can easily put half the people
into such camp-like sleeping rooms. Do you think you can try to find
a solution for the other 50%, and if only to offer an alternative?

> - Do you think is it possible to estimate ~how many attendees would be
>   comfortable with this arrangement? Could a sort of poll help here?

I've not seen enough participation in previous polls to make their
results useful.

: :'  :  DebConf orga team
`. `'`
  `-  DebConf16: Cape Town: https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf16