Re: [Debconf-team] Why a new DebConf delegation won't help

On 12/11/15 at 08:47 +1300, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Allison Randal <allison@lohutok.net> [2015-10-21 09:16 +1300]:
> > I'm good with that description from 2011. No idea how we ended up
> > where we are today from that point, it was so sane and sensible.
>
> IIRC: The 2011 delegation stems from efforts to help make DebConf
> recognised as an official Debian event, hence integrating it into
> the Debian chain-of-commands. You'd have to ask Zack for detailed
> background.
>
> Zack's delegation was succinct and wise. However, even though it
> didn't give explicit decision-override or veto powers, it made three
> people responsible towards the project, which had much the same
> effect as giving them more weight in decisions than others.
>
> Since then, we've seen a spectrum of problems, from the team unable
> to make decision constantly deferring to the chairs and burning them
> out, to there being a divide between chairs and some of the team,
> bringing focus to the powers attributed by the more explicit
> delegation put forth by Lucas.

Note that you have the timeline a bit wrong: Zack's text was in effect
from 2011 to 08/2014, so that covered the DC13 organization, which I
think you are referring to with:
> the team unable to make decision constantly deferring to the chairs
> and burning them out

The updated text from me was a response to those problems, to hilight
the overseeing/monitoring/advisor role of chairs rather than the "debconf
leader that should decide about everything" role that the debconf team
seemed to have used chairs for.

Lucas