[Debconf-team] No action required, other than to take note: ShowMeBox and DebConf16

Hi all

This is not relevant to DebConf orga, but I don't want you to feel
left out, so please be aware that I am working on the ShowMeBox, and
currently asking people to help me design the competition.

The email I am sending them is below.

Cheers

Subject: Advice requested: Designing a open data analytics competition
targeted to high school students

Hi

We are designing a competition targeted at high school students,
involving (Free and Open Source) software (Debian) and hardware.

The ShowMeBox is a competition that uses software and open source
hardware to visualize data relevant to the participants. It is
designed to promote Debian and the art of open data analytics.

We are currently working on the technical aspects of the competition,
but I need input on how best to design the user-facing part of the
competition, what the students will see, how they will interact with
us, how we will reach them, what issues to consider, how best to pitch
it to high school students, etc.

We were thinking of having a long running competition, but the advice
I have received so far is to have a short competition -no longer than
one day.

We hope to start the marketing of the competition before the end of
the year, and we need the competition to end, with prize giving,
during the international Debian Developers Conference held in Cape
Town next year - DebConf16 - around 2 July 2016.

We are at this stage considering about 300 entrants, but this is
flexible either way.

More information can be found here:
https://wiki.debian.org/ShowMeBox

Could you please let me know if you are willing to help, with an
indication of costs (if any - we are all volunteers, but willing to
commit funds to this to do it right), and if you can't assist, if you
can recommend other people, or resources, books, websites...

best regards
Bernelle Verster (indiebio)