Re: [Debconf-team] Debconf15 open weekend admittance

Hi all

I'm not in depth with the issues here, but as a newbie, I was really interested in the public key idea (I've been so vigorously getting keys signed, it's embarrassing). I'm guessing people won't be able to generate their own fully fledged keys on the spot, but perhaps some mock-up/greatly simplified version to show them the steps, combined with, say, an introductory lecture on cyber security? So, almost gimmicky but rooted in real life. In my opinion the people coming will be curious and a bit geeky already...

On the cyber security, I'm not sure if the FB, twitter etc auth is a good way to go...

Just my half thought through two cents :)

Bernelle
(indiebio on IRC)

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 8:43 AM, martin f krafft <madduck@debconf.org> wrote:
also sprach Karsten Merker <merker@debian.org> [2015-07-27 23:57 +0200]:
> Maybe I am misunderstanding something here, but AFAICS this would
> mean that every potential visitor would have to create an alioth
> account to be able to log into summit, which might be a relatively
> big deterrence for "normal" people, in particular for locals who
> might read about DebConf in the local press and come by to take
> a look.

I think front desk will be prepared to handle day visitors with
lesser administrative effort on-site. If Nattie could confirm this,
then we should probably amend the PR just a bit in this direction.

Since you brought up the subject — and I think you have good points:

I agree with you that the whole Alioth dance is way more trouble
than I find it worth, and I hope next year, we'll find a better
solution. SSO is great of course, but IMHO we should/could

  - also allow users to create quick accounts right there, or even
    offer the use of Twitter, G+, FB etc. as auth-providers

  - completely detach all registration data from authentication and
    allow one authenticated user to create multiple registrations,
    e.g. for their family members of co-workers, or well, for
    front-desk to register day visitors.

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck@debconf.org> @martinkrafft
: :'  :  DebConf orga team