Re: [Debconf-team] About microblogging

also sprach Brian Gupta <brian.gupta@brandorr.com> [2015-11-17 05:26 +1300]:
> Prior to DC15 we didn't promise this, or provide this, as commercial
> microblogging services were considered controversial within Debian. As
> I understand this is still controversial.

Actually, the (new) publicity team is starting to at least question
our position regarding Twitter and Facebook. No doubt that we must
never expect any of our users to sign up there just to get the news,
but the 100k+ followers we have on these networks probably wouldn't
mind if we engaged with them. And then it becomes a question of
whether there are people willing to do it, as you say.

> I'd just prefer to not promise this to sponsors after DC16.

I spoke to a few sponsors about DC15 twittering their engagements
for the first time and resonance was neutral-to-positive. Those
companies who themselves are on Twitter thought it was a nice idea,
and it's in fact quite common in the conference landscape.

Why would we not promise this? It costs us fairly little and it does
bring visibility. We also promise an ad in a non-free, printed paper
that costs us fairly little. And none of this means that we endorse
the media, or that we don't also service users of the Free networks.

: :'  :  DebConf orga team
`. `'`
  `-  DebConf16: Cape Town: https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf16
      DebConf17 in your country? https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf17