[Debconf-team] Why are sponsors giving us money? (was: Protecting Debian from DebConf issues?)

also sprach Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org> [2015-11-12 17:51 +1300]:
> In the end, sponsors donate to Debian, and they gain by having a
> better Debian than otherwise.

I am sure most of our sponsors would donate to Debian directly,
but we (Debian) don't really let them (yet). Of course, we accept
donations and hold open our hands, but we don't recognise that it's
not what potential sponsors want.

Nobody doubts that sponsors give us (DebConf) money because DebConf
is the official Debian conference and the outcome of the conference
advances Debian. But we hand out fundraising brochures about
a specific conference and sponsors are giving money towards DebConf,
not Debian.

> The conference is an (expensive but useful) means towards that.
> So, DebConf owes IMO loyalty and results to Debian, not to the
> sponsors.

Yes, DebConf needs to always remain "loyal" to Debian if we want to
continue raising funds as the official Debian conference and use the
Debian trademark for that.

> This is one of the reasons why DebConf belongs inside Debian.

Whatever "inside Debian" means… DebConf is recognised as the
official Debian conference and so it's as much "inside Debian" as
e.g. d-i, the official Debian installer, or the official Debian
security team, neither of which have been delegated.

: :'  :  DebConf orga team
`. `'`
  `-  DebConf16: Cape Town: https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf16
      DebConf17 in your country? https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf17