Re: [Debconf-team] Protecting Debian from DebConf issues? (was: Collaboratively drafting the next DebConf) delegation

also sprach Patty Langasek <harmoney@dodds.net> [2015-11-11 12:56 +1300]:
> DebConf organization has *never* fallen under the role of the Trademark
> team.

I have not suggested it did or should. But DebConf's use of the
Debian trademark certainly could.

> Before assuming they have some insane desire to be responsible for
> <InsertCrazyConferenceIdeaHere> where part of the team has no
> desire to actually communicate or find agreement globally,

I have not suggested that they should become responsible for the
conference.

> it would be wise to check with them that they would be happy
> monitoring all use of Debian logo and name for fund-raising
> promises.

Monitoring is only one way to ensure appropriate use. It's generally
the least preferred, I'd say, as it doesn't prevent, only identify
misuse.

> And if they agree, it would be even *wiser* to have the *DPL*
> update their delegation responsibilities, not some random comment
> on a mailing list.

I don't think an update is required. That's (part of) the charm in
the approach, as far as I interpret it.

> the delegation brought very little additional work, no confusion,
> and a very limited amount of friction during DC14, all of which
> was handled amicably.

That is because DC14 was almost entirely organised without active
delegates.

: :'  :  DebConf orga team
`. `'`
  `-  DebConf16: Cape Town: https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf16