[Debconf-team] Proposal about storm.debian.net : webapps for DebConf organization/coordination

Dear all

Here is my overdue mail about Sandstorm.io, storm.debian.net, and how
can we use it for DebConf organization (or other purposes related to
Debian).

In Debian we traditionally communicate and organise events using the
mailing lists, the IRC channels, and wiki pages.

Sometimes we feel that other (newer) tools could help better or extend
the traditional ones. It's usual that they are not easy to deploy in
home servers or Debian infrastructure.

Asheesh Laroia (paulproteus@debian.org) kindly deployed
https://storm.debian.net
which is a Sandstorm.io server, capable to deliver a lot of new web
apps for us to try/use.

Any Debian contributor can ask for an account there, and then, install
apps and create new documents. Once a document is created, you can get a
shareable link that you can send to people (debianers or not) to access
the document and collaborate together (account is only needed to create
the documents, not for editing them).

I did that.

For now, I have created for you (debconf-team and contributors) to use
(if you want):

Test/play with Etherpad: http://deb.li/testpad
Test/play with Scrumblr: http://deb.li/testscrum
Test/play with Wekan : http://deb.li/testwekan

Kanban Scrumblr Board for DebConf16
http://deb.li/dc16scrum

Wekan Kanban for DebConf16
http://deb.li/dc16wekan

Framadate showing my dc16-contributions-howto availability
http://deb.li/dc16howto

The complete list of apps available is in http://sandstorm.io/apps and
"installing" any of them is a matter of two clicks.

Ok, now what?

* If you decide to move from titanpad.com to storm.debian.net, I can
create the pads: http://deb.li/dc16pad1, dc16pad2, etc (tell me how
many. We may be lucky and work more comfortable than in titanpad which
frequently hangs or disconnects. If we happen to bottleneck Asheesh's
server, I'm sure he will be happy to handle that (happy because that
means many people using Sandstorm!))

* If you want me to create new other documents (e.g. hacker slides to
quickly create a presentation to a potential sponsor), just tell.

* If you want to create yourselves the apps you need/want, or play
around, ask for an invitation to paulproteus@debian.org or to me (hey,
I'm admin yeah!).

* If you don't feel like using storm.debian.net, no problem at all. I
don't mind to continue working as until now (titanpad, whiteboard or
whatever you choose), as long as it is free software

* But if *I* have to create a new pad, it will be in storm.debian.net
unless people asks me not to do it, because
** I like dogfooding, better debian.net services than *.com (even if free)
** I want to experiment with sandstorm and provide use cases/issues to
Asheesh ;)
** I frequently experience titanpad's disconnections (and the underlying
software is Etherpath in both sites).

I would go on using deb.li shortener to make my shares look prettier.

Thanks Asheesh for the maintenance of the service. I'm planning to
write one or two blogposts with more details about sandstorm.io
experiences, I just need some quiet spare time to finish my "I am a
DD" blogpost first :s

Cheers

--
Laura Arjona