Re: [Debconf-team] Team Roles

also sprach Jonathan Carter <jcarter@linux.com> [2015-10-12 16:04 +0200]:
> Kanban can be useful... but none of the above tools address the
> same problem that the wiki page does, do they?
[…]
> Indeed, I also think that team member profiles would definitely be
> useful, but it also won't quite give an overview of who'd like to
> be involved with what as that wiki page could. So I still don't
> think that doing away with that wiki page is optimal (although it
> would only be useful if we actually use it).

It's the classic problem of data presentation. Tasks and people are
n:m relations. The wiki table links tasks to people, and profile
pages could link people to tasks. Doing both is redundant. Hence
I was looking for a common means of presentation, which seems like
the timeline for now. But the timeline itself is too static.

About your initial question (see above): yes, a Kanban (or any other
task-centric approach) would actually address the problem.

For instance, staying with your day trip example, you'd create the
task and you'd be the owner, or whatever it's called. If I now
wanted to work on the day trip, the Kanban would tell me who to talk
to, unless I chose to ignore it, which would be unacceptable.

And as you say about Gantt charts, if we want everyone to use the
tool to coordinate, it better be simple and provide a relative
advantage everyone can feel. To me, the wiki and its limitations
have the bar quite low on this one, but I also don't have
a contender for the perfect tool at hand just yet.

If we assumed a task-centric approach, then the profile pages could
contain much more abstract information, such as "Jonathan is usually
involved in X and cares deeply about Y. He has 17 cats and likes to
drink beer while doing headstands."

: :'  :  DebConf orga team
`. `'`
  `-  DebConf16: Cape Town: https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf16