Re: [Debconf-team] Team Roles

On 12/10/2015 14:16, martin f krafft wrote:
also sprach Jonathan Carter <jcarter@linux.com> [2015-10-12 13:11 +0200]:
Do I understand correctly that
https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf16/LocalTeamRoles will no longer be
used?

It looked really useful to me but there has been some who didn't
like it, if we're not going to use it then I'd rather remove the
page and the link to it from the mediawiki sidebar.

I think it depends on what we want to use it for. It's useful as
a directory linking tasks to people who at one point in time
expressed an interest or claimed a competency regarding a task.

Yes, and that's all it needs to be. AFAIK we don't really have any other good way of knowing who has been interested in which kind of work. I was also saddened to hear from someone last week that they've already been contacted to ask about a day trip to their venue... I had no idea of this from the DC side and I knew a daytrip wouldn't work there and wasn't too happy that this is happening without me even knowing about it even though I signed up for that department. I know we all have different standards and ethics and ways of working but I expected better and didn't know how to deal with it.

The table is also an overview of (some of) the tasks that need
doing, but it's incomplete and missing a lot of information, such as
interdependencies, priorities, and deadlines.

The timeline-based approach we tried so far goes a little into this
direction. However, a timeline on the wiki when we already know we
can expect delays and certain tasks depend on others isn't
particularly useful (as it'll get outdated quickly).

Maybe it's time that we investigate project management tools? This
could be as simple as a Kanban, and as complex as a Gantt chart.

Kanban can be useful... but none of the above tools address the same problem that the wiki page does, do they?

Has anyone worked with such tools and recommend one we could
install/try out? Maybe something Sandstorm-based? I am really
interested in pursuing this angle (and could also imagine Odoo doing
this), but at the moment, my DebConf time is being used up by tying
up DC15 accounts.

Every big project I've seen with Gantt charts turned into long large meetings about how to keep the Gantt chart happy and updated. If you'd want to use such a thing I won't stop you, but I wouldn't want to be any part of it.

Once we have this "glue" documenting the process, then indexing to
the wiki for task descriptions (and to amass "institutional
knowledge" about a task) and also team member profiles would be
really useful, IMHO.

Indeed, I also think that team member profiles would definitely be useful, but it also won't quite give an overview of who'd like to be involved with what as that wiki page could. So I still don't think that doing away with that wiki page is optimal (although it would only be useful if we actually use it).

-Jonathan