Re: [Debconf-team] On the "local team"

also sprach Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org> [2015-10-06 20:18 +0200]:
> But if I wasn't there on a day-to-day basis, if I was unable to go
> to meetings with physical people, if I didn't know the whereabouts
> and details on how to arrange for $whatever, I wouldn't have
> considered myself a local.

This is a very important point, and something we must not forget.

On the one hand, I think we should resume the habit of sending
actively supportive / critical people on site early to gain their
bearings. I know this has been done in the past, but we have not
done it lately, and it becomes ever more important as we expect
future bids to be submitted by teams with lesser experience.

On the other hand, what you say is IMHO a strong argument for doing
things as early as possible. We need people on site, obviously, but
if those people are e.g. not comfortable negotiating/signing
a heavyweight venue contract, then it'll take a lot longer for
people far away to get to the point of being able to assume this
responsibility.

For the record, I think the concept of "local team" makes a lot of
sense, and I don't think that we'll be able to get rid of the
term/concept no matter how hard we try. At the end of the day it's
a useful term to refer to those people geographically close.

But we should ensure that nobody is excluded just because they're
not local to a site. Non-locals should still be able to identify
themselves and be treated as part of the "core" team of specific
conference instance. And this team has all too often been called
"local team".

: :'  :  DebConf orga team
`. `'`
  `-  DebConf16: Cape Town: https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf16