Re: [Debconf-team] [Protest] Changes should come from within the team and not from above

Hello Marga,

> On 28 Aug 2015, at 11:59, Margarita Manterola <margamanterola@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The DebConf Chairs are supposed to be leading the team. Leading may
> mean sometimes taking hard decisions, but most of the time it should
> mean guiding, working with the team towards achieving consensus and
> making sure that ideas are heard.
>
> Imposing changes from above without consultation is not leading.
>
> The mail says that it's a request for comments, but the changes were
> already made in the wiki, which is a dissonance with requesting
> comments.

A wiki is a wiki. We request comments from all people.
BTW you just wrote us that you wanted to be consulted before going public.

> There had been talk of having a sprint to work on this together as a
> team.  I was a bit unsure about the sprint because it's hard to get
> everyone together in the same place again, but I was hoping we would
> be able to do a series of IRC meetings that would achieve a similar
> result as the sprint.  This was something that I was about to propose
> as the old coordination team lead. Now I guess I don't have that job
> anymore (the page says I'm the lead, but the composition sent in the
> email doesn't include me, which is a bit confusing, I sincerely don't
> know where I stand now)

Most of the changes were agreed with the orga sprint (e.g. video team).
We proposed to add the local team (as “required” in orga spring), but DPL asked us to let “local team” to hack the team structure according their needs and visions. DC16 strongly rejected local team (and did some minor changes). (so they it called social team).
Finance: I think we discussed with many people (and possibly in the sprint, I don’t remember). I don’t think it is a big deal to have it as a new team instead of a sub team (but it will be the smallest team).

BTW you are still in coordination team, and team will be formed when dc16 people return from vacations (7 September I think). We are not removing you from coordination.

Where is your name missing? Since when?
I think nobody updated the lead/shadow names since months, also because we preferred to wait after DebConf . And again: you will find many texts not updates [lead/shadow that quits, the dates, …]

> .
>
> I'm glad that at least the DC16 team was consulted on this, but I
> think the experience of those that participated in the past and that
> intended to keep working for DC16 an onwards should also have been
> taken into account and I'm extremely disappointed that that's not what
> happened.

For sure DC16 people were consulted. And we had a orga sprint.

What is the change you don’t like and you feel it was not discussed?

> I don't think this is how we should operate. What do the rest of the
> people that were planning on keeping participating on debconf-team
> think?

Propose an alternative.

Wiki is wiki, so nothing unchangeable: and such policies, when approved should go to mailing list, to be archived.
But wiki has some more structure than mail or titan pad (which fails often).

We are open to proposals, and we are not removing you from coordination (but you resigned several times, and communicated to us that for you it is not a problem if we will not “renew” your role, so we didn’t anticipate your reaction).

ciao
     cate