Re: [Debconf-team] Debconf15 open weekend admittance

also sprach Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.pro> [2015-08-11 09:43 +0200]:
> There doesn't appear to be any reply to this request for
> confirmation on this thread
>
> I also don't see any other threads about the issue of the open
> weekend and how people understood this would work.
>
> The page about the open weekend[1] only mentions registration in the
> context of Teckids and otherwise it says "we welcome anyone"

I've updated the webpage.

> The information about the party just says it is Elsewhere[2] so it
> is also not clear whether it is the same registration or whether
> it is some other venue that may well be more open

There is no other venue. We tried and didn't succeed in finding
anything usable.

> Looking at just one mailing list post from Saturday[3], it appears
> that there are people who are traveling to Heidelberg anticipating
> that visitors are welcome at the open weekend.  I would be
> surprised if other people haven't formed a similar impression.
> This could be counter-productive to Debian as a whole if people
> arrive to visit the open weekend and get a blunt response from the
> front desk.

Unfortunately, if push comes to shove, that's what we'll be forced
to do. We might be able to give them presents to make it better.

> Was there any sign that people were registering on the spur of the
> moment after the slashdot post[4]?  Could the team email those
> people who registered recently and ask them to de-register if they
> are unlikely to really come, to free up space for day visitors?

If someone doesn't show up, we have no problem. The concern is not
about number of registrations on the website, but about capacity of
the venue.

> Is it likely that the registrations will open again from Sunday
> night once the open weekend is over and the team has a better
> understanding of crowd sizes?

Anything is possible.

: :'  :  DebConf orga team
`. `'`