Re: [Debconf-team] Plan to organise a one-day workshop pre-DebConf

Hi all,

Le mardi, 14 juillet 2015, 18.21:18 martin f krafft a écrit :
> We also strongly believe that this would be beneficial to
> DebConf15's public reception. Furthermore, even though it's
> a non-profit endeavour, we do expect to have a little surplus that
> we'll gladly donate to DebConf15.
>
> I've put up a webpage on
> http://debconf15.debconf.org/workshop.xhtml, but before we go live
> with this, I wanted to give you a chance to speak up. We can also
> organise this completely independently and put the information on
> a different server, but we think this would be a lost chance.

Although the communication around this was not ideal, I do think this
should totally take place, within the DebConf space, as well as
publicised through the usual DebConf channels (website, etc).

I see multiple arguments that argue in favour:

* Martin and Michael are amongst those _making_ the DebConf happen: I
feel it is strictly better to encourage them to run this under the
DebConf umbrella, than to have them organize something else, elsewhere,
elsewhen.
* The logistics _are_ in place, and this event will cover its own costs
(probably even make a benefit).
* This is a good opportunity to bring more people to Deb{Conf,Camp,ian},
also probably from /unusual/ domains. I don't see how this could end up
wrongly.

The only minor thing is that I would allow regular Deb{Conf,Camp}
attendees to attend it for no additional cost.

Cheers, OdyX