Re: [Debconf-team] CoC, "What does that mean for me?" section

On Wed, Apr 01, 2015 at 04:52:28AM -0400, Edgar Becerra wrote:

> I generally agree with the spirit and particulars of this discussion.
> I do not know if the changes to the Code have been made, but I noticed
> the part titled "What does that mean for me?". So now I list my
> grievances {-:

Oh, botherage, I had gotten so annoyed at the speakers part that I
missed the other parts :(

Let's address the "What does that mean for me?" section. I'll address
the "Be aware" section in another mail.

Most items in that list mention "offensive", "unwelcome" and
"exclusion", and I find them less problematic because of that.
My opinion is that it is not the topic of a statement that may make it
problematic, but the context in which it is used.

I'll try to distill that spirit into a revised draft, getting rid of the
questionable list of topics and replacing negative phrases (which come
across as patronising and intimidating to me, making *me* feel
unwelcome) with positive ones:

    * What does that mean for me?

   Please try to make everyone at the conference feel welcome and
   accepted. If a conflict arises, the default compromise should lean
   towards the side of inclusion.

   If someone or some situation makes you feel unwelcome or worse, you
   can expect to be able to point it out safely.

   If you have made a person feel unwelcome or worse, please accept it
   and apologise right away, then try to make an effort to understand
   what happened.

   In both cases, feel free to discuss the situation confidentially with
   Front Desk staff, which will do their best to provide support and
   advice.

With regards to the mention of "unwanted photography or recording", I
think it is enough of a special topic to warrant a link to a specific
recording policy, given also that DebConf itself does extensive
recording and broadcasting.

Enrico

--
GPG key: 4096R/E7AD5568 2009-05-08 Enrico Zini <enrico@enricozini.org>