Re: [Debconf-team] Suggestions for improving our IRC meetings

On 03.03.2015 11:46, Margarita Manterola wrote:
> For future meetings I plan to:
>
> 1) When there seems to be agreement on something but it's not 100% clear do:
>
> marga suggests: #agreed we should do foo/bar/baz

This could help, allowing a short answer ("No"), so who disagree can
have time to articulate the reasons.

I also find that sometime I'm trying to write an answer and topic/agree
were moved before I can press RETURN. On old meeting there were a lot of
silence periods, which was also not ideal.

> And then people can state clearly if they don't agree.  This is not just
> for me, anyone can suggest an agreement.  It usually helps if we try to
> formulate what we agree on, so that we stop discussing things that
> everyone already is ok with, and so that people with concerns can raise
> objections explicitly about the part that they don't agree with.

> 2) If the discussion goes on long after it was slotted to finish,
> suggest that we should follow up on a different medium (on list,
> follow-up IRC meeting, phonecall, whatever).

A meeting should be allowed to take as much  as 1.5 x the programmed
meeting, and in this period all items in agenda should be discussed (but
when they are clearly postpone-able).  So if a discussion take to long,
we need to block it before it take the time from other agenda items.

But there are many exceptions. Yesterday we agree to open registration
today, so that agenda item took more time, because of many details. So
our meeting rules don't be too strict.  In future we will have to deal
with many more deadlines.

IMHO we should also avoid to move too much discussion away from
meetings: there is more risk to have no decision, but with too long
discussions (which will be repeated on many different channels).

ciao
	cate