Re: [Debconf-team] Questions about DebConf bids

> Hello,

Hi! This is Montreal's answer! Sorry for the brevity, we're in a hurry for the meeting :)

> My questions, in very short format:
>
> Late arrival: do the accommodation (for venues) allow very late arrivals?

Hmm, hard question. We would rent a whole residence, so I don't see why not. Normally, there are porters that open doors at night in these kind of
hotels. So yes, but not 100% yes. Maybe 90% yes.

Yes, paying for security. Prices are in the wiki: https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf16/Bids/Montreal/Venues/McGill#Conference_facilities

> What about dressing standards e.g. barefoot, shirtless at venue?

I would not recommend being barefoot in Montreal's streets. In the venue building, I don't see why not. Shirtless can be a problem though. I think
security guards you ask you to dress up, since it's not common in Montreal to be shirtless inside public or private buildings (it's often explicitly
required to wear a top in stores or other public places, many shops will clearly mark this at the entrance). We couldn't find any official dress code
for McGill so far.

> Age restrictions (without parents) in venues? in bar/restaurants?
> [18 is IMHO enough, 16 better].

18 years or older in bars, legal age is usually enforced (checking IDs). Restaurants don't have that rule, unless one is to order alcohol where
alcohol is served.

> Are children (with parents) welcome in the venue?

Yes! We would set-up some kind of daycare for kids if needed, hopefully ran by volunteers.

> Are there public holidays on proposed dates? Special big events? Elections?

Public Holidays, no. Special big event? Montreal hosts hundreds of festivals during the Summer, so it's heavily dependent on the exact timing; we've
put the usual large festivals on the wiki under potential dates; but in short:

    Montreal F-1 Grand Prix (early June??)

    Francofolies (second/third week of June? was June 12-22, 2014)

    Jazz Festival (last week of June? was June 26-July 6, 2014)

    Montreal Just for Laughs festival (July 11 to 25 2015)

These will usually take up lots of accomodations around the city, but might not affect accomodations from residences.
As for elections, well, hopefully not :P.

> Identifications: Should people wear a badge inside campus? (with photo?)

We don't have that kind of information yet, but it's very unlikely people will have to have badges during the normal opening hours of the building.
Maybe at night.

> Money: are there ATM nearby?  How difficult is to make payment with credit cards (or without credit cards) ?

There are ATMs in various locations, there should even be in some of the McGill buildings, but we can't confirm for inside SSMU building just now.
Stores which accept cards usually withdraw money for you if you consume something. It seems a common practice in Montreal.

Payment with credit card depends wildly on the size of the shop. Smaller shops tends not to accept them since the fees can be quite high. Bigger ones
tend to.
Since we are in North America, a lot credit card "brands" works. It should not be a problem to get some money out of ATMs with all major "brands".