Re: [Debconf-team] Sponsored lanyards, a proposal

On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 7:52 PM, Patty Langasek <harmoney@dodds.net> wrote:

> Hello, team!
>
> The Sponsors team has recently had a generous offer from one our sponsors to
> sponsor the lanyards.  These would be DC15-specific lanyards and would have
> the sponsors logo (not as prominent as the DC15 logo) on them as well.
> We're currently in discussions on how to fit this into our sponsorship
> heirarchy, and want to get back to the sponsor soon (within the next 3 days)
> so they can plan out their 2015 budget.
>
> Before we move forward with the proposal, I wanted to get feedback from the
> team at large about this. I'm incuding a snip from Brian's email regarding
> the proposal.
>
> Thanks, everyone! I look forward to hearing thoughts on the matter,
> Patty
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Brian Gupta <brian.gupta@brandorr.com> -----
>
> In our meeting on Tuesday it was mentioned that one of the potential
> sponsors wanted to provide the official DebConf lanyards. They would
> be imprinted with DebConf15 but also feature the sponsors logo,
> perhaps in a smaller font than the DebConf15 imprint.)
>
> Although, we did agree if they didn't want to make it the official
> lanyard, they could always just put it in the swag bag, at no extra
> charge, we could not come to a consensus on whether to accept this
> without charging them an additional fee to allow prominent logo
> placement.
>
> * They would be responsible for getting the lanyards manufactured.
> (Estimated value 400-500 EU)
>
> --
>
> Patty Langasek
> harmoney@dodds.net | harmoney@debian.org

I am happy, perhaps even proud to support and show off the names of companies that support things I am in favor of.   Giving back works both ways.    The more we can give, the better.    I don't think exposing people to names and logos is going to get in the way of whatever it is that happens at an event.   Spending time working against such things seems like a really poor use of time.

Aaron Swartz believed that you literally ought to be asking yourself all the time:
"What is most important thing I could be working on in the world right now,
and if you're not working on it, why aren't you?"

I also understand the therapeutic value of ranting about things that will never change.

On to my contribution to this thread: My PyCon 2009 bag is one of my favourite swag, followed by my Jägermeister lanyard.  Because they are both functional.   The bag gets used at least weekly when I go to the grocery store.  The lanyard has been warn daily for over 6 years to keep my keys and a roll of velcro cable ties handy (which unlike keys can't be put in my pocket.) (something most people don't worry about.)

Not a requirement, but I would recommend the sponsor spend a little more on the lanyards so that it is more likely to get used at other events.  Or maybe even daily ;)

1.25" wide, quick release buckle (not to be confused with security buckle which breaks away if something/someone pulls on it)

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/fluorescent-lanyards_727019680.html
Size: (2.5*90)cm
Accessories: metal hook,plastic buckle,security buckle

--
CarlFK

ps someone needs to order one of these and tell me what shows up:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/disconnect-buckle-lanyard_1901872636.html
Nominal voltage: 35 kV. Rated current: 630;1250;1600;2000;2500;3150;4000
10 cents!