Re: [Debconf-team] Code of Conduct

On Fri, May 02, 2014 at 12:48:29PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Anthony Towns <aj@erisian.com.au> [2014-05-02 11:40 +0200]:
> > This means no swearing on this list, or in talks ("so yeah,
> > I tried that and royally firetrucked stuff up"), right?

> I would strongly advocate to keep a no-swearing default. First of
> all, I think it raises the quality altogether if people concentrate
> a bit more on what they say in public.

+1

Nobody's saying you can't say privately (PRIVATELY) to another developer "I
tried that and royall firetrucked stuff up", what we're saying is dropping
the 'F' bomb several times in as many minutes during a talk is unacceptable.

Besides. Saying that you royally firetrucked stuff up is so much more
awesome than actually dropping the "F" bomb.

In fact, I'm going to start using that myself.

> Second, I don't think we are far off anyway, DebConf has IMHO been
> mostly decent.

Agreed.

> And third, swearing "accidentally" won't get you expelled, but we
> might raise a finger. I think this is good and after half a dozen
> times, everyone will grow more and more conscious.

> If we give ourselves a CoC, we might just as well do it right and
> enact what we promise. ;)

Exactly. And we're not asking people to change who they are or overly censor
themselves; we're asking them to maintain a social propriety while
representing Debian in the public eye.

Patty Langasek
harmoney@dodds.net

At times, you may end up far away from home; you may not be
sure of where you belong, anymore. But home is always
there... because home is not a place. It's wherever your
passion takes you.
                                --- J. Michael Straczynski