Re: [Debconf-team] daytrip + budget (Re: Updated budget for DC14)

On Tue, Apr 01, 2014 at 05:56:05PM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,

> from a budget point of view, the daytrip can easily be made in a way that it
> doesnt cost the organizers any (additional) money. We've paid bus fares
> ourselves (as attendees) in the past and can do that again and then we just go
> to some nice place in the countryside and have a picknick there, and voila,
> splendid daytip with awesome memories - without a budget, except for food,
> which we would have to pay anyway.

That's actually kind of what I'm planning. Only, the picnic is accompanied
by waterfalls.

But, absolutely. The daytrip doesn't have to be extravagant (and *won't* be
this year).  And I think we've worked too hard previously in trying to
one-up the last daytrip experience (sorry, I'm not going to try to compete
with CERN - cate wins that contest hands down), and I'm hoping people will
be content with a very low-key, outdoorsy, as-active-as-you'd-like-to-be
daytrip this year.

> (I'm all for having the conf pay the full daytrip but if thats not possible,
> it's not possible.)

The daytrip is actually not a terribly expensive thing this year (just cost
of coaches). My bigger concern is I underestimated how much it was going to
cost to have a conference dinner. The good news there is I've come up with a
pretty good (and potentially fun) idea that won't go over the budget *too*
much, and since I'm staying well under the daytrip budget, might even be
able to petition to have funds reallocated (assuming they're there).

> Others have already explained why+how the daytrip is tremendously useful, I
> wont go much into this here, I just want to state that from a videoteam point
> of view it's really nice to have a day off and be able to talk with and not to
> people :-)

You can ask DC7, DC10 and DC6 teams - the main organizers were also happy to
have people off-site for a day so they could have a much needed breather.

I received just as many expressions of gratitude from the DC7 organizers who
*didn't* go on the daytrip as I did from the attendees who *did* go on the
*daytrip. It was ... kinda surreal. :)

Patty

Patty Langasek
harmoney@dodds.net

At times, you may end up far away from home; you may not be
sure of where you belong, anymore. But home is always
there... because home is not a place. It's wherever your
passion takes you.
                                --- J. Michael Straczynski