Re: [Debconf-team] Length of morning sessions (was: General schedule proposal for dc15)

also sprach Margarita Manterola <margamanterola@gmail.com> [2014-09-21 23:40 +0200]:
> Therefore, I propose this structure for the morning session
> 09:45 - Announcements and Raffle
> 10:00 - Keynote (no parallels)
> 11:00 to 13:00 - Concurrent talks (2 to 4 slots, depending on length)

I think this sounds great.

> Would that mean we would also invite some/more "outside" speakers
> and/or have panel discussions to have truly room-filling content?
> I think I would like that even better.

I think one or two outside speakers would be great and just like we
had a bit of budget for this for DC14, we could totally budget it
for 2015 to have some people speak.

also sprach Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org> [2014-09-22 01:56 +0200]:
> ...And a raffle should be an entirely optional activity, it should
> not be tied to announcements. Specially if it is a sponsored
> activity. I am not opposed to having a daily raffle, but I'd very
> much prefer to be able to skip it without it meaning I'll be
> missing interesting talks, important information, or whatever.

Just to clarify: the raffle at LCA takes about 1–2 minutes at the
end of the announcements. It's also not a sponsored/commercial
activity. It's just a bit of fun and usually very exciting to
everyone, if the selection of prizes is good.

I hope you'll attend at least once to see, and if only because you
might be able to suggest improvements.

> Right, that would work for me — I expect I won't be the only one
> joining at 10AM. Again, I expect important announcements to be
> relayed online, don't think we will really need to have an
> announcements session.

Absolutely. Allison's suggestion that all announcements should also
be available online as well is important. In fact, we should just
create a wiki page or so during the orga meeting and then "present"
it at the plenary session.

: :'  :  DebConf orga team
`. `'`
  `-  DebConf15: Heidelberg, Germany: http://debconf15.debconf.org