Re: [Debconf-team] Report from the talks team

On 09/21/2014 10:15 AM, Steve McIntyre wrote:

> I'll suggest something contrary here - I *don't* think we should even
> try. DebConf is *not* a typical academic conference where people are
> presenting state-of-the-art research to a very wide community who are
> otherwise disinterested. It's a meetup for Debian people to share what
> they've been doing and generate ideas together for future stuff. We
> already get slides and stuff for most of our talks. I'm trying to
> encourage other people to post write-ups of their sessions to -devel
> etc. later, which I think is much more valuable than a dead
> "proceedings" document which is outside the normal Debian workflow.

I have to agree. There was a time when "proceedings" were a common
feature of FLOSS conferences, but these conferences all rejected the
proceedings model around the same time DebConf did, in favor of
promoting a more participatory and conversational model.

We need to be very conscious of the outcomes we're trying to achieve
with DebConf. At its core, DebConf has a sustaining function for the
heart of the Debian community. It's a place where we gather, reconnect,
and get inspired for a new year of involvement. A set of talks that
dryly recite papers prepared months before the event is not a good fit
for DebConf, it's not what we need as a community.

Allison