Re: [Debconf-team] Report from the talks team

Several diverging comments below:

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 11:13:30AM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
>also sprach Ana Guerrero Lopez <ana@debian.org> [2014-09-16 22:19 +0200]:
>
>> * Publishing the list of accepted talks ahead and taking the time
>> to schedule seems to be a good idea. There are plenty of people
>> making travel plans at the last minute and allows last minute
>> additions.
>
>It'll also attract people to the conference.

Is there that much of an effect? Maybe a small number of people. I'd
expect the vast majority of folks coming to DebConf will come
regardless of the explicit talks schedule. Some may change their
travel dates to accommodate specific talks, though - I've seen that
happen. So +1 to Ana here.

>> * Some of us wondered if the tracks should not have been presented
>> for people to choose from during event submission, or if they
>> were, they need to be clearly marked as "optional" or "any" --
>> when we added tracks partway through the conference, we should
>> have been able to try to group the tracks later.
>
>My personal thought: it was a nuisance to figure out which track is
>best, and none of my submissions really fit anywhere.
>
>So I think we have to chose either to have a pre-defined set of
>tracks (with a coordinator knowledgeable in the field) for each,
>and then be strict about it… (this can help guide people's decisions
>on what to submit)
>
>… or just accept it all and see if we can create any tracks after
>selecting the talks we want.
>
>We do not *need* the concept of tracks at all.

If tracks are considered useful, try and define them as early as
possible and get coordinators up-front.

>> Another possibility would have been encouraging people to type in
>> 3 or 4 keywords about their proposal to make it possible to have
>> a tag cloud that would "bubble up" ideas for possible new tracks.
>
>Nice idea!

Definitely - I was going to suggest exactly the same thing as a way
round the "my talk doesn't fit any of the tracks" problem.

You raise the blade, you make the change... You re-arrange me 'til I'm sane...