Re: [Debconf-team] Separating Speakers and hiding Participants/Attendees in Summit

On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 01:51:40AM -0400, Brian Gupta wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 11:30 PM, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 09:55:15PM -0400, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
> >> There are some views that list Participants (sometime as Attendees) that
> >> I don't think we should change, or am uncertain about changing.

> >> These three I request guidance on:

> >> *virtual_meeting.html:
> >>     Will debconf ever be virtual?

> > Unlikely, and not worth doing extra work now to support.

> >> *by_participant.html:
> >>     attendee's own schedule, aka "My Schedule". Should an attendee be
> >>     able to see who else wants to attend meetings he/she intends to attend?

> > Should not be able to, no.

> May I ask why not? Perhaps I am missing something, but if this view is
> limited to DebConf attendees, what is the harm? WHile admittedly for many
> people, who make impromptu decisions this data won't be in summit, I think it
> probably has some social value to know in advance who else is attending.
> (Perhaps make this an opt out?)

Because if someone doesn't want it known what sessions they're attending (or
registering their interest in), this probably applies at least as much to
random other attendees as it does to random non-attendees.  E.g., if someone
is stalking you at a conference, you definitely don't want them to be able
to see which sessions you're attending simply by them registering interest
in all then sessions.

I also don't see the social value in knowing in advance who's going to be in
the sessions you've said you're going to be in.  Surely, if they're sessions
that you've registered interest in yourself, you'll find that out when you
arrive?