Re: [Debconf-team] How do people feel about dispensing with the historical 1+ month break from organizing activities that takes place after DebConf?

Hi Brian,

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 06:33:08PM -0700, Brian Gupta wrote:
> I've observed it over the years, and feel that if we can summon the
> strength to stay engaged, we can use the extra time, lessons are still
> fresh from DebConf.

> We're always scrambling for time later in the cycle, so regaining this
> time would likely prove incredibly helpful.

> P.S. - I know everyone does a lot, and this is asking a lot, but I
> wouldn't ask if I didn't think it was important.

I believe that the "traditional" one-month break is largely a result of the
burnout that people feel by the end of each conference.

It was an explicit goal of mine to avoid this for DebConf14.  I don't think
it's healthy to run a conference by rolling from crisis to crisis, and after
15 years (and ~10 years in the more or less current format), I believe we
are capable of doing better.

I've met this goal for myself, and am not burned out in the immediate
aftermath of DC14.  Hopefully other people are feeling the same way -
DebConf should be an invigorating experience, sharing time with our fellow
Debian contributors, not an energy drain for the team!  If anyone is feeling
burned out, then I'm sorry I wasn't able to do a better job as an organizer
to prevent that and would like to know how we can do better for the next
year.

But long story short, I'm not burned out, and I'm not resting on my laurels
post-DebConf.  I have a fair amount of paperwork to do to close out the
conference, including following up with the university to get a final
invoice for the venue/accom/food/equipment rental.  That will probably take
a couple of weeks to completely wrap up (because I expect there to be some
bugs in the invoice PSU sends us), after which I will be focusing on the
final report.  The budget section of the report is probably blocked on me
(due to the above), but hopefully other people will also be working on
sections of the final report in the meantime, as well as helping out with
things like the DC15 sponsorship brochure.

Cheers,