Re: [Debconf-team] Sponsorship for GSoC students attending DebConf

Hi Nicolas,

On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 02:50:20PM +0200, Nicolas Dandrimont wrote:
> [Please keep Sylvestre and myself Cc'd]

> Hi folks,

> I'm contacting you, as a GSoC admin, in order to arrange for this year's
> students stay at DebConf.

> As you know, each and every year we try our best to have the GSoC students
> engage with the Debian community at large, and what best opportunity is
> there than having them attend DebConf?  I know for a fact that last year's
> attendees had a great (and productive) time.  Furthermore, this year's
> edition pretty much coincides with the end of the GSoC schedule, which
> means that it comes at a perfect time for students to get on a stage and
> talk about what they have done for Debian during the summer!

> As was done in the past, Google has offered us to reimburse the GSoC
> students for their travel expenses to attend the conference.  We therefore
> are looking for sponsorship of their food and accomodation costs only.

> As far as our survey turned up, 5 to 7 students have shown interest in
> attending DebConf (we haven't heard from everyone yet, but the number shouldn't
> go much higher). Do you think it would be possible to have their stay
> sponsored?

As discussed on IRC, GSoC students should be considered for sponsorship
through the normal bursaries process.  This means they should register
before May 15 following the instructions at
<http://debconf14.debconf.org/registration.xhtml>.  It also means that the
team will not promise that these students will have their sponsorship
requests approved, but instead consider them through the normal sponsorship
ranking process.

(We currently have budget for far more sponsored attendees than have
requested sponsorship, so in practice, any GSoC students who request
sponsorship are likely to be approved.)