Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf governance & 'Debian Deutschland' name and TO status

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 6:18 PM, Richard Hartmann
<richih.mailinglist@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 12:08 AM, Philipp Hug <debian@hug.cx> wrote:
>
>> If we had DebConf15 chairs, they could be involved from the beginning
>> without having to bother about DC14 at the same time
>
> This would make sense, imo. This is something the chairs could decide
> by themselves.
>
> I also note that for whatever reasons, chairs are absent from these discussions.
>

> As an aside: Tighter feedback loops would generally make some things
> easier. As it is, it feels a bit as if DC15 team is working on
> something, reaches consensus, presents consensus and only _then_ do we
> get broad feedback (and most of it dissent (though silence from the
> rest can often mean agreement)). This may be a bit in the nature of
> teams working somewhat independently and then reporting back, but it
> still feels less efficient than possible.

I think one thing that has helped me in the past is to keep in mind
that when I work on something in a DebConf subteam, that we are
working on a proposal for presentation to the larger team, and need to
understand that the proposal may not reflect the final decision. The
same applies for things discussed on IRC. (It's only a draft proposal
until ratified and tweaked by discussion on mailing list.) Generally
speaking, when keeping this mindset that what is being presented is a
draft, and that I expect to change it based on feedback from the
larger group, it seems for whatever reason to be much smoother.

If something is going to need a tight decision loop, I think giving
the larger team, and chairs, a heads up early makes sense. (Even
before a subteam has come to a consensus, and maybe explicitly cc'ing
-chairs.)