Re: [Debconf-team] About the DC15 entity and authority (was: DebConf 15 Legal Entity)

also sprach Andreas Barth <aba@ayous.org> [2014-04-17 08:24 +0200]:
> Just speaking about theoretical things, but: With your current
> draft the board could kick out all people having a different
> opinion, and if the general assembly would vote about the appeals
> anyone who disagrees with the board cannot vote because their
> membership is pending. So I think people should still be able to
> vote on the appeals unless they're finally expelled.

Valid point, thanks, except that the ability of the board to expel
a member is limited to instances when the member harms the public
perception of the association, doesn't pay (if there were membership
fees) or there's another "important reason". You are right, the
board could abuse this power, but then it probably wouldn't stand
very long and get replaced by the members' assembly, if they don't
agree that the reason was "important".

Anyway, your rewording is noted and I shall look into it.

This discussion does make me think that maybe we should *not* all
become members, but just keep the association "on the side" and
portray a clear understanding among DC15 orga that it only exists
for legal purposes and membership does not make anyone any more
special.

There is a benefit of keeping the number of members down, too,
namely that insurance will be lower. However, it's my understanding
that the minimum insurance is for 100 members anyway, so this
probably doesn't affect us much.

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck@debconf.org>
: :'  :  DebConf orga team