Re: [Debconf-team] registration metadata

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 12:04:56PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback.  I've tried to capture the current state of the
> requirements in the wiki:

>   https://wiki.debconf.org/action/edit/DebConf14/Registration

> I'll keep it up to date as the discussion here progresses.  Please discuss
> on the list before making any changes; and if no one objects to the
> proposals, silence will be taken for assent. ;)

> The only piece that I think still needs to be fleshed out is which fields
> are required or not.

I'm getting a crash course in Django (I haven't had the kool aid yet, but
then again, nobody's gotten hurt, but I will say that I understand why
Django developers drink), I decided that our current organization of the
information is very confusing, so I'm currently working on trying to find
groupings that actually make sense in the data collection.  (What makes more
sense in terms of flow from a user experience as you're filling out the
form.)

I'm updating the wiki page with a better flow, and I really think as we get
going, we should break the registration up into definite sections. I
propose:

Profile
<name, nickname, gender, debian information (such as role), etc.>

Contact
<email address, phone number, address, emergency contact>
On a note of the address - I don't understand the need for the "Post Office
box" field. This seems unnecessary considering we will have the traditional
2 address lines; can this be removed?

Conference
<attend, role in DebConf, Registration type, t-shirt size,
food/daytrip/assassins/ preferences, disability accomodation>

*Move Sponsorship to be before Travel information*
Again, make it clear this information can be edited, and give sponsorship
*request deadlines loud and proud on it.
This section will need to be uneditable once the sponsorship deadline has
*passed.

Travel
* maybe we should make it clear that people can come back and adjust/edit
* the information once they have their flights booked. Just a blurb about
* it?

Patty

Patty Langasek
harmoney@dodds.net

At times, you may end up far away from home; you may not be
sure of where you belong, anymore. But home is always
there... because home is not a place. It's wherever your
passion takes you.
                                --- J. Michael Straczynski