Re: [Debconf-team] Notes from reviewing bids. (And questions for teams)

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 7:54 AM, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 06:44:42AM -0500, Brian Gupta wrote:
> [...]
>> 2) Belgian-team close second (11), with 50%+ having attended DebConfs
>> in the past.
>
> I just noticed I've forgotten to add this to the wiki, but: Gerry, Juan
> and myself are all also members of the FOSDEM team and have been for
> several years (Juan and Gerry actually even longer than me). While
> FOSDEM isn't DebConf, this is also a large free software conference, and
> I think this is also relevant experience.
>
> From talking to other members of the FOSDEM team, it is clear that some
> of them might be interested in joining as well should we win the bid,
> but none have so far helped out.
>
> [...]
>> Belgium needs a food cost estimate
>
> Yes, that is indeed our major outstanding issue.
>
> I have just done a quick websearch for catering options in the
> neighbourhood, and have come up with a company "Traiteur Derkinderen".
> This company's focus is to deliver hot meals to people at home, mostly
> for retired and needy people, starting at a price of EURO 8 per person per
> hot meal.
>
> They don't actually deliver to Mechelen, but I assume they would be
> willing to do so for 300 meals, which would be a large customer.
>
> I haven't yet contacted them, however.

Bear in mind, it's not just a question of willingness. They may not
have the facilities/staff to accommodate such large orders, especially
considering that it is a smaller city. I would put more effort into
hammering this down, and exploring options, BEFORE THE DECISION, as
arranging meals for 150+ is not always as trivial as it might seem.

It doesn't need to be finalized, but I feel you should have at least
one viable option available. (You may find that the only kitchens that
can accommodate DebConf needs are the near-by hotel kitchens, and they
may be cost prohibitive.)

> [...]
>> 4) Belgium: Food costs?
>
> See above.
>
>> 5) Belgium: Can local team take photos of venue and accommodations and
>> add to bid, before decision meeting?
>
> I'll try to get that arranged ASAP.

Reminder.

>> 6) Both: Family accommodations: Will family-rooms be available? If
>> not, will there be nearby (walking distance) hotels?
>
> Yes. The three hotels that are part of our bid are within walking
> distance. One is across the street (less than 10 meters from the venue),
> the second is across the river (about 50 meters from the venue), the
> third is two blocks away (200 - 300 meters from the venue).

To be clear, are the hotels the only options for families, or are
there hostel rooms that can be reserved by families? (It's not a
blocker in any case, just is a useful data point.)