[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: [Debconf-team] debconf15 timeline

On 20-01-14 14:35, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
> so, appearantly everybody forgot about DebConf15 in the last #debconf-team 
> meeting and it's unknown when the netx meeting will be.
> Do we need or shall we have another dedicated meeting about DebConf15?
> Not cc:ing the bid teams intentionally as I expect them to read this list and 
> reply...

So, that last part was wrong for our bid (which was an error on our side
and has now been fixed).

My apologies for missing the deadline. There are two reasons for this.

The main reason is that the prices which we got for Mechelen were fairly
steep (when compared to prices on the wiki), and we didn't consider them
to be worth the effort. We were going to attempt in another city, but
that would require starting over for a fair number of things, and we
didn't have the time anymore.

I did ask on IRC, on the 22nd of December:

< wouter> hi -- when are the formal bids expected? Or isn't there a date
for that?
< h01ger> end of the year
< wouter> hrm
< wouter> is that a deadline?
< wouter> we have numbers for Mechelen, but it's not what we had hoped
for, and would like to explore one alternative
< wouter> while we believe we'll be able to get something more suitable
from that alternative, it's quite unlikely to be ready by the end of the
< h01ger> wouter: thats totally fine / no problem. its a bid, things change.
< h01ger> we probably wont discuss+decide before end of february - as
earliest - anyway

But I realise now that I should really have asked here, instead of
through what really is a rather informal communication medium.

The other city didn't work out, and would be fairly difficult to do
anymore right now, so that's not going to happen.


Late last week, I received a phone call from a person in the Mechelen
city administration who had contacted me around the request that I'd
sent to the city government for their backing. Apparently that request
had gotten lost in the administration somewhere, which meant that it
didn't reach the powers that be, and as such I hadn't received a reply
yet. As the main venue which we would be proposing is one of the reasons
why the price is somewhat high, and as the city government has some
influence there (details not too important for this discussion), they
could reduce the price for the venue significantly.

This meeting, I am told, will happen on the 31st of January, and I was
told to expect a reply early the next week (the 3rd or 4th of February).
Whatever the reply, we'll still post our bid -- but of course if we
don't get backing from the city government, this bid might not be as

A second, though somewhat minor reason, is that a nubmer of members of
the local team are also members of the FOSDEM core organization team.
While we knew that going in, and therefore shouldn't be an excuse, it
has contributed somewhat more than anticipated. At any rate, you will
understand if we can't do much about the bid until the end of FOSDEM --
which is in less than two weeks.


This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space.

If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you
will not go to space today.

  -- http://xkcd.com/1133/

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: OpenPGP digital signature

Reply to: