Re: [Debconf-team] DC14: parallel activities for families with kids

Hi Hector,

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 05:32:35PM +0200, Hector Oron wrote:
> I would like to ask people in local team, they they envision any kind of
> trouble for DebConf kids to happen, on regard of hosting, foods, etc...

For the sponsored accomodations, rooms come in two configurations:
 - two-person rooms
 - two-bedroom suites with two beds each

Unless a family has exactly two children, staying in the dorms won't make
good use of the space.  So if we're going to have a lot of accompanying
families with children, I think it's better for them to stay off-campus in
one of the various nearby hotels.

For food, I don't know of any specific considerations that would prevent
accompanying kids from being able to join us in the university cafeteria.
We can make sure to look into this question closer to the time.  In any
case, there are lots of food options around in the city as well, so if for
some reason we can't accomodate kids in the cafeteria there will be no
shortage of other options.

>   I assume the following applies to families and kids:
>   * Relatives must not apply for travel sponsorship
>   * Relatives must not apply for hosting/food sponsorship (or at least
> they shall pay standard fees)
>   * Any related activities with kids must not interfere on DebConf
> planning, or cause any kind of overhead for people just interested on
> DebConf.
>   * Kids activities shall be planned, at least, during conference
> talks and presentations, after those, parents or relatives are
> responsible for their own children.
>   * Extra fees might apply (extra insurances, visits, hiring child
> care responsible people)

That all sounds reasonable to me.

WRT extra fees, the idea that seems to be preferred by many who've been
discussing this so far is to self-organize, with parents sharing childcare
duties in a rotation.  IMHO that seems a lot simpler than trying to hire
licensed child care professionals, not to mention cheaper, while still
making it possible for most of the parents to participate in the conference
most of the time.