Re: [Debconf-team] food (planing, cost, etc.)

Hoy,

Le lundi, 1 juillet 2013 10.49:12, Giacomo Catenazzi a écrit :
> I've some question about food, and I think we should collect some
> ideas and questions, before asking them to Le Camp.
>
> Food availability, prices:
>
> IIRC we pay 35 CHF/day for food. What does it mean "per day"? From
> dinner (first day) to lunch (last day)?  People could choose lunch
> (first day) to breakfast (last day)?

Breakfast is billed as part of the accomodation, so "per day" means
dinner and lunch. The split by Le Camp is breakfast: 10 CHF, lunch: 10
CHF, dinner: 14 CHF.

So we are AFAIK free to decide how we want to bill arrival and departure
days.

> What about people sleeping outside Le Camp? Now they pay 25 CHF/day,
> without breakfast. Could they ask for an extra meal (first or last
> day)? What price? [this is a real question to registration@]

The arrangements with Le Camp is that we have to give the numbers 10
days in advance. Small modifications will be possible I guess and I
suggest to use the above prices iff we decide to allow that.

> Do we sell short term ticket? I'm thinking about visitors (mostly
> locals) taking a single meal. IMHO we should sell them at front desk
> (booked in advance, but for the few extra short term meal we could
> have).

Given what I write below, I'd rather give food to everyone with a badge,
but sell these "conference badges" if needed.

> What kind of food we will have? DebConf and DebCamp? Served? Buffet?

Lunch is buffet, dinner will be self-served (that's in the contract).

> Could we have a food plan?

That's definitely something I think we should ask, yes.

> Probably we should notify the special meal we need to Le Camp:
> conference dinner, Debian party (an outdoor/grill party?), and IMHO
> on Monday we should have C&W party (?), so a possibly light meal /
> buffet meal who can be combined with the C part of C&W party.

We should get a more precise weekly agenda first, but yes, we should
clarify that with Le Camp very soon.

> Do we need food tickets?

I would _really_ avoid that at _all_ costs. The administrative burden is
just not worth it in a venue where everyone will eat at the same place.
As I mentionned above, I'd probably go with "you got badge, you got
food" and issue badges on the go for last-minute visitors.

> If we get the food plan enough earlier, I volunteer to translate
> (with some help) the menus, and to manage a personalized food plan
> (e.g. to collect switches between regular and vegetarian). [I like
> to eat meat, but OTOH I really don't like to eat much consecutive
> meat meal, so I have some extra motivation to do such extra work;
> and we have few special options (no pork), so we should manage it
> anyway].

We have to communicate our numbers for "specific food requests" ten days
in advance and Le Camp will likely plan 3-4 meals matching the amounts
that we hand to them. What do you mean by managing a "personalized food
plan"?

> Do we have some kitchens available? Not as main food "provider", but
> I'll like to see attempt like "tasting Dulche de Leche" or some
> regional special food attempts (and maybe some night snacks).

We do. There are several kitchens in various buildings. Carré's or
Rotonde's will be used by the bar team but the other ones would be
available. We should really make sure whoever uses the kitchen cleans it
up afterwards otherwise the ongoing and final cleanups will cost DebConf
a fortune. Some sort of "ya can use the kitchens but"-policy/guideline
could be useful.

> Maybe it could be done in the bar chicken, so we some supervision that
> we don't mess up the kitchen (and we leave thing clean). What do you
> thing about this?

I would keep things separate: the bar team is responsible for the bar
kitchen and shouldn't have to handle other's "mess". With the above
"policy", I'd be happy to let the other kitchens be used under the
responsibility of the attendees, but it's a risky move.

Cheers,
OdyX